If you’re in the market for a no-frills, no-extras, basic and simple car seat then the Cosco Scenera may be for you because that is exactly what this convertible car seat is. It really is just a simple plastic car seat shell with a simple cover on top. It is pretty much as basic as basic can get as far as car seats go. The good thing though is it still meets all the safety standards that are required. As with any car seat this one has it pros and cons, so let’s get into them.
- Item Weight: 6 lbs
- Orientation: forward and rear facing
- Weight limits: 5-40 lbs
- Height limit: 43 in
- Harness: 5 point
What are the Pros of the Cosco Scenera?
- Lightweight – at just 6 lbs this car seat is one of the lowest if not the lowest weighing convertible seats on the market. Typical convertible seats weigh between 15 and 20 lbs so this is a huge difference which makes it easier to travel with.
- Side-impact protection – even though this is not a car seat with any kid of extras it still has side-impact protection that have proven to perform well in safety testing.
- LATCH system – make installation simple and quick.
- Colors and washable cover – this cosco car seat offers some unique and fun prints like a fun polka dot print called Broadway Dot and a nature print in both neutral greens and a girly pink. The cover is also washable, but by hand unfortunately not by machine.
- Cup holder – we all love an extra cup holder in the car…right?
And the Cons?
- Weight and Height limits – this seat only allows for up to 40 lbs forward facing and 43 inches tall while many other convertible seats go up to 65 lbs and 50 inches tall. This seat will probably last until your child is about 3 years old, unless they are on the taller side, so there’s not much longevity in this seat.
- Lack of padding – many parents have reported that their little ones are uncomfortable in the seat, constantly being poked by the harness behind them because of lack of padding in this seat.
- Poor rear-facing – it is difficult to get the proper reclining position needed for infants in the rear position on this seat, especially in small cars and a pool noodle or some kind of rolled of towel will most likely be needed to get the angle right and in a secure, wiggle free spot.
- Harness Straps – the harness strap are difficult to move up and down and must be rethreaded each time to be adjusted for height.
How do consumers rate it?
This seat gets a 3.5 out of 5 stars from parents. Parents love the budget friendly price, which I’ll get to next, but this is one of those cases where you get what you pay for, meaning there’s not much durability in the seat nor is it as easy to use as some other car seats on the market.
What’s it going to cost?
As I said the cost is really the great thing about this seat coming it at $63.66. This is a super budget friendly price that definitely isn’t going to break the bank and still provide you with a seat that passes all safety tests.
The Bottom Line
If you are looking for a no-frills and basic car seat then this is the seat for you, but remember this is one of those cases where you get what you pay for….it’s cheap but not great quality nor ease of use. Many people report that a great use for this car seat is just for plane travel because it is airplane approved, super light, and affordable. But as a daily use seat, not the best option out there.