If you’re familiar with the Evenflo brand than you already know that they do almost everything baby. They have everything from breast pumps to jumpers to car seats, and as far as I’m concerned…they do it all pretty darn well. I’m going to review for you the Tribute car seat from their convertible car seat line-up today. Firstly, and like all car seats on this site, it is a convertible car seat that can take your infant from the rear-facing position into front-facing as a toddler. The Tribute also not only meets the federal safety standards in crash testing, it exceeds them by double! I also noticed that even with the safety protection this car seat is still very lightweight compared to similar styles from other brands which makes it easier to switch between cars if needed. This car seat seems to be a winner right up front but let’s keep going to see if it really is.
- Item Weight: 9.11 lbs
- Orientation: forward and rear facing
- Weight limits: 5-40 lbs
- Height limit: 40 in
What are the Pros of the NextFit?
- LATCH system: Like most car seats on the market these days the Evenflo Tribute comes equipped with LATCH for easier and more secure installation.
- Multiple Harness Positions: The Tribute boasts 4 shoulder harness positions and 2 crotch strap positions to grow with your little one. The harness is easy to move around and adjust to get the right fit.
- Energy Absorbing Foam: The shell of this seat is lined with energy absorbing foam which has proven very efficient, 2X the federal crash test standard efficient in fact.
- Lightweight and Compact: At less than 10 lbs this is a SUPER lightweight car seat which makes it easy to switch between vehicles if necessary. It’s also on the compact side which makes it good for smaller cars.
And the Cons?
- Difficult to Recline: It’s hard to get a good recline on this seat without using some kind of towel or a pool noodle underneath for help.
- Maximum Height and Weight Limits: The maximum weight limit on this seat is 40 lbs, while most convertible car seats go up to 65 lbs. Also, the height limit is 40 in, while many convertible car seats support up to 50 in. If your child is on the taller or larger side they may not get much longevity out of this seat, and will most likely only last toddlers until they are about 3 or 4 years old.
- Uncomfortable: Some parents have said that their kids complain about their bum or legs hurting during extended trips in this seat, so it may not be the best option for that cross-country road trip you’ve been planning 😉
How do consumers rate it?
The Tribute gets high marks at 4.4 out of 5 stars and is frequently purchased by many parents out there. Because it’s so lightweight and affordable many parents choose this car seat for airplane travel or as a second car seat from grandparents or caregivers. For more information on traveling with children read this guide.
What’s it going to cost?
This is definitely an affordable car seat! I found options between $51 and $64; depending on color. The more basic colors like grey and black are cheaper while the more colorful and patterned options go between $60 and $64. That’s not at all a bad price if you ask me, even if you do go for the most expensive.
The Bottom Line
This convertible car seat by Evenflo gets great reviews, has high safety ratings, and is very affordable. However, its height and weight limits will cut into longevity of the seat, and not all reclining positions are easy to achieve without support from a towel. That being said, this is a great budget option, especially for those with a smaller car or as a second seat for grandparents or caregivers.