From the Italian brand Peg Perego comes a convertible car seat definitely on the higher end of high end car seats, which I guess is to be expected when it’s coming directly from the home land of Versace, Prada, and Armani. The Primo Viaggio, which in English literally means first trip, is Peg Perego’s first and only convertible car seat that they offer allowing you to use it from infancy into toddlerhood. They installed all the same great features parents loved about their infant car seats in this model and a few new things to take it from rear-facing to forward-facing. Taking a tip from their fashionista counterparts at Versace I did notice that the car seat fabric is really well made; it’s breathable, soft, and absorbs moisture which keeps your little one cool on those hot days in the car. It also has several recline positions to help you achieve that really reclined angle for newborns in the rear-facing position.
- Item Weight: 21 lbs
- Orientation: forward and rear facing
- Weight limits: 5-65 lbs
- Height limit: 49 in
- Harness: 5 point
What are the Pros of the Primo Viaggio?
- SAFE technology – SAFE stands for Shock Absorbing Foam Element. This is a device they’ve place below the shell that scrunches up upon impact that helps to reduce impact to the child’s neck and shoulders in case of a crash.
- Adjustable side-impact protection – again this extra layer of protection helps protect the child’s head, neck and spine is the event of a crash. Many higher end brands like Britax for example have this extra layer, what’s interesting though about the Peg Perego version is that it adjust to 10 different positions so you can always ensure a snug fit as your child changes and grows.
- LATCH system – as always….LATCH to make installation simple and quick.
- Energy management system – another crash safety feature, a steel back plate that stops the seat from bending and reduces forward movement on impact.
- Top tether – tether that hooks from the top of the chair to the vehicle which prevents the chair from moving forward in a crash; this is only to be used in the forward-facing position.
- Padded seat and fabric – as I said earlier the fabric does feel really nice and of high quality and it’s WASHABLE!! They also provide a padded insert for infants 22 lbs and under to give a safer and snugger fit.
And the Cons?
Price – for us budget conscious mama’s out there, coming all the way directly from Italy this seat is expensive!
Heavy – although this seat is slim, it is still a heavy 21 lbs, which many convertible car seats are and that’s one of the reasons they have the potential to last so long. But, this is not a seat you want to be moving between cars.
How do consumers rate it?
Consumers love love love this car seat! It gets 4.7 stars out of 5 from parents, and very few have complaints. Parents consistently complement how sturdy the seat is, how safe they feel about using it, and how comfortable their kids feel in it.
What’s it going to cost?
This is not a budget friendly convertible car seat by any means and is a bit of an investment. The MSRP on the seat is $349.99. It comes in a ton of different colors ranging from the neutral greys to bright purple and aquamarine blues. I found it for $349.99 on Amazon, where you can also read tons of positive reviews on the car seat from other parents.
The Bottom Line
This car seat is an investment. But it’s got all the extras and more any parent could want. It also has the potential to last about 5 or 6 years if you take good care of it, and knock on wood, no accidents. But, in this seat, if you were in an accident, there would be peace of mind that your child was well protected. My final thought on this seat: if you’re in the market for a convertible car seat that will last you for years, and you know you will be using it on a daily basis, and you want to provide comfort and safety for your child, then make the investment in this seat because in the long run it will pay off.