I haven’t done a review of an infant car seat on this site, but I figured it’s about time. After all, it is the very first car seat we purchase to put our little one in. Graco has one of the most popular infant seat on the market, the SnugRide. Sounds good just from the name right? A snug ride for your little one that holds them in safe and sound…exactly what we’re looking for. Except it gets a bit more complicated than that when you consider there’s the basic SnugRide Click Connect, the SnugRide Click Connect LX, and the SnugRide LX with Safety Surround. Besides the obvious differences in prices, what else makes them different, and what makes one better than the other? Keep reading and I’ll tell you.
- Item Weight: 7.5 lbs without base, 15 lbs with base (9.6 lbs for the Safety Surround)
- Orientation: rear-facing
- Weight limits: 4-30 lbs (Safety Surround goes up to 35 lbs)
- Height limit: 30 in
- Harness: 5 point
What are the Pros of all the different SnugRide Options?
- Safety Rating – One of the best things in my opinion is the safety rating of this seat. As we are putting newborns in this seat who have no to little control over their head or neck movements it’s important that the seat we put them in provides optimum protection, and these seats definitely do.
- Energy-absorbing EPS foam – This foam helps to reduce the amount of force on the infant in the event of a crash.
- LATCH equipped base – Makes for easy installation. Just install the base using LATCH, then simply disconnect the car seat in and out for easy car seat travel. The seat can also be installed without the base easily, but if it’s your own car I recommend using the base for a tighter fit.
- Sun Canopy – Great feature for all infant seats, a rotating sun canopy cover and handle for carrying the seat around wherever you go.
- Graco System – One of the greatest things about choosing a Graco seat is that they also do a load of strollers and pack n’ plays that work with the car seat to easily click in and out as well as come in the same matching color scheme.
- Machine Washable – The cushion for all of these seats is machine-washable which is a fantastic help for keeping things clean easily.
And the Cons?
- Short seat – This seat does seem a bit short when compared to some other infant seats, especially if you expect your little one to be on the taller side. Either way though, the seat should last a good 8 months to 1 year before you make the move to a convertible seat.
- Harness – The harness straps can sometimes get tangled up which can be a bit of a drag when you’re in a rush or dealing with a sleeping baby that you just want to buckle in.
What are the differences between the different SnugRide options?
- SnugRide Click Connect – The most basic and affordable option of the three (MSRP $99), this seat has all the pros mentioned above. With excellent safety ratings, a 5-point harness, and Graco’s Click Connect technology to click in-and-out of other Graco systems this seat is a solid choice.
- SnugRide Click Connect LX – Following we have the luxury version with all the same features as above and an additional level indicator for proper recline, second LATCH system, and infant body support.
- SnugRide Click Connect LX with Safety Surround – Again, all of the upgrades of the above, with an additional 5lbs to the weight limit, making it 35lbs max. This seat is also slightly heavier at 9.6lbs without the base, and has a no rethread harness. Another addition to this seat is the Safety Surround Protection, which provides a further layer of head and impact protection to the infant in the event of a crash.
What do they cost?
As these seats get more and more upgrades they also increase is price. The SnugRide Click Connect comes in at $99.99, the LX version at $129.99, and the LX with Safety Surround at $199.99. As you can see these seats come in a variety of price points and usually can be found on discount online.
Another thing to keep in mind is the idea of purchasing an extra base, one for each you and your partner, or a grandparent who helps you out. This will eliminate the need to install and reinstall the car seat when switching between cars. Make sure to select the right base for the right seat as they are different. Click here for the basic SnugRide base and click here for the LX base.
The Bottom Line
So finally, which one is the best? In my opinion, anyone of these seats is a fantastic option, but me personally I would go with the basic SnugRide Click Connect. I’m not just picking it because it is the least expensive, although that is a huge benefit, it is also a parent favorite and there’s good reason for it. This seat offers top safety features, it’s light and easy to use, as well as connectable to other Graco items. The seat will last you your child’s whole infant life and you will feel confident with their safety in this seat. Check out the seat here, you won’t regret it. Also, take advantage of Amazon’s 20% discount off all Graco products while you’re there by using code SUMMERSALE at check-out.